Saturday, 12 May 2012

Bioeffect EGF Serum review and opinion

Hello all

I wanted to post my opinion on the BioEffect Serum now that I had some time using this.

What is BIoEffect  EGF Serum:

( I have taken the companies marketing information courtesy of the Bioeffect website):
BIOEFFECT EGF Serum
the serum



This is the description of what it is supposed to do:


'BIOEFFECT EGF Serum is a next-generation anti-ageing serum that improves the appearance and health of your skin by encouraging the skin to repair its own cells. Its key ingredient is Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF), a substance which occurs naturally in human skin and which has the ability to speed up the rate of cell turnover within the skin.


Cellular activators are proteins that are vital for the maintenance and repair of skin cells. With age the level of these cellular activators within our skin decreases. Our skin renews itself less frequently, and begins to look less radiant and more wrinkled. Regular, once or twice daily use of BIOEFFECT EGF Serum reverses this process and gives visible dramatic improvements within weeks.'


this is what the serum contains:

Containing only 9 ingredients ( taken from the BioEffect.co.uk)
Glycerine, Aqua, Sodium Hyalunorate, Tromethamine, Alcohol (less than 0.9%), Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Hordeum Vulgare Seed Extract, EGF (Transgenic Barley sh-Oligopeptide-1)

Touted Benefits:



'Suitable for all skin types, including face and neck. Can also be used on the body if desired. Just apply one drop to each desired area you wish to treat.

- Reverses the signs of ageing.
- Diminishes uneven pigmentation.
- Adds radiance and luminosity.
- Moisturises deeply.
- Eliminates dry spots.
- Improves complexion.
- Approved by Dermatologists.
- The only plant derived EGF in skincare**'

I wanted to find out what is EGF ( Epidermal Growth Factor) and how does it work topically? There is no evidence good enough so far to consider that topical/cosmetic application of EGF has any impact on improving skin texture, smoothness, tightness and diminishing pre-formed wrinkles.

Experimental studies on rats showed shown benefit on improving keratinisation ( the thickening) of the cornea ( the lens on the eye). A study in 2006 showed wound healing improvement after 2 weeks in rats with induced incisions ( cuts).

My personal opinion:

I am applying the serum only at night onto clean skin and leaving it as is. after 3 weeks of continual use, I have noticed that the skin is plump and appears hydrated. I have not seen improvement on the diminishing rate of pigmentation on old pimple spots.

I did develop one sub epidermal cyst which has taken a while to subside, not quite coming to surface.

I did a comparison by applying to my skin 3 weeks of just 2-4 drops of topical glycerin, and the effect was the same. Plump, taut facial contours and hydrated skin.

I am 32 years old, with no wrinkles so far, so I cannot comment on how the BioFeffect Serum has an effect on this. Unless I have open wounds on my face, EGF is unlikely to be of benefit to me based on studies.

A good test would be is to try applying just pure glycerin ( 2-4 drops) to the skin and observe how your skin react to this. Glycerin is first on the list of ingredients in the BioEffect Serum.

Feel free to read my post on topical glycerin here:

Bioffect is not cheap- 15ml's is at £125 from the BioEffect website. I bought mine from Beautybay.

As always- prudence and not desperation allows us to make informed decisions. It seems like my investment in a £1 bottle of normal Glycerin is a way forward for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment